At the time of this writing, we have completed our study design, literature review, IRB final draft, and experimental protocol. The implementation of the virtual experience is the next step. At this point we have decided upon and obtained all necessary technologies, and defined a general outline of the experience and its environment. After the experience is implemented and tested, we will begin our pilot study which will inform further iteration on the experimental design. Then we will begin experimentation on participants.
Throughout the semester we did a lot of research into the topics of presence, VR, audio, EEG, and interactions among the four. We also researched relevant experimental methods and used this information to make calculated decisions throughout our experimental design. This was an ongoing process, resulting in many iterations of the design. We have been in contact with several current HRTF engine developers, and have implemented these within our environment in order to decide which is best for our study.
Sam was completely inexperienced with Unity before this semester, and has since become quite comfortable with the environment. Max became more efficient at indexing academic literature, iterating on experimental protocols, and gained more knowledge about the measurement and theoretical foundations of presence and human experience in virtual environments.
Our research on this topic has opened the door to a collaboration with researchers at another university which will begin this summer. We hope to have updates soon.